Monday, December 1, 2008

December Stories and Songs, First Day


It's a bit late in the day here on the East Coast, but I'm still going to start this out so that there will be a story and song suggestion for each day up to December 24th.

For a few years now I've been recording a story and adding a song or two as a way of sharing Advent with Sisterfilms although she is far away.  The list I'll be posting this year is actually from 2006.  Therefore, there will be one story that comes on the wrong day for this year -- the one for the first night of Chanukah, which was December 15 that year, but is December 21 this year. Of course, you can read the stories in any order you like.

The very first story, and the one that gave me the idea to do this, is one we have loved for a number of years. I blogged about it last year in one of the Advent Friday Fives.  It's Karin's Christmas Walk by Susan Pearson. Unfortunately it appears to be out of print, but there are several used copies available through Amazon.com and other online used booksellers, and there's also a good chance you can get it at your local library.

For a song to go with this book, which is about coming home for Christmas (and waiting for someone to come home for Christmas), I chose I'll Be Home for Christmas.  A number of people have recorded this, notably Bing Crosby, but I'd also like to suggest Neal and Leandra's version, which includes the intro, as Bing's version does not.

Each day I will have a new story and song suggestion;most of this year's are suitable for younger children, a few would be more suited for older kids just because of length and vocabulary.

No comments: